All volumes and a complete index online!
- Full FAQ
with detailed instructions
- Put ALL commands in body of message and send to: email@example.com
- To Subscribe send:
subscribe Book_Arts-L "Your full real name"
Leave out the "" . All subscription requests must include
the full real name or they will not be approved by the moderator.
- To post a message send to: Book_Arts-L@listserv.syr.edu
- For daily digest: set Book_Arts-L mail digest
- To unsubscribe: unsubscribe Book_Arts-L
Reference & Bibliographies
- Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive
- Bibliographies: Includes bookbinding
manuals (with tables of contents), conservation & preservation articles,
marbling, typography, paper arts.
- Tutorials: Instructions for a wide
range of book art related structures and glossaries.
- Conservation & Preservation Links: resources
on book repair, collections conservation, preservation administration,
digitization, and conservation vendors.
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
Multi-lingual Bookbinding/Conservation Dictionary Project: The goal
of this project is to combine, in one place, all the known bookbinding
and book conservation terminology, in as many languages as possible. We
are also including both current and archaic terms, to make the dictionary
useful for both practicing conservators and bookbinders, as well as book
for Book Collectors by John Carter & Nicolas Barker, 8th
ed. (At ILAB)
- Abkürzungen für den Antiquariatsbuchhandel (Abbreviations for the antiquarian book trade): In German, English, and French. Created by ZVAB.
- Conservation OnLine (CoOL):
The mother of all conservation and preservation sites.
Bestandteile eines Buches: Als Antiquarin kann ich mir kaum vorstellen,
dass es Menschen gibt, die mit den Bezeichnungen von Buchbestandteilen
nicht wirklich etwas anfangen können. Ist aber – wie bei
allen Fachausdrücken – eben doch oft der Fall. Darum möchte
ich Ihnen in diesem kleinen Artikel die wichtigsten Bestandteile eines
gedruckten und gebundenen Buches kurz vorstellen und erklären.
ABC: German language dictionary of bookbinding terminology.
enabled description of the parts of a (German) case binding, but works
for almost all other kinds as well. Thank you to Peter
Baumgartner for letting me use his illustration and script.
and the Conservation of Books: THE English language encyclopedia
for bookbinding and conservation (At CoOL). Digital version
of print edition from HathiTrust
- view from US-based IP addresses only.
- Bookbinding/Reliure: From Diderot's
Vocabulary / Vocabulaire de la Reliure: French / English bookbinding
terminology by ARA Canada
Online version of Moessner's German-language encyclopedia of bookbinding
terminology (1981 ed.). Presented online by Schmedt,
and now at the Internet Archive.
- Dictionary of Book and Paper Conservation in Five Languages, Budapest, 1997: Hungarian, German, English, French Italian. Link to PDF file. Click here to download in other formats.
- Druck ABC (Printing ABC):
Printing, typo/reprographic, binding glossary. In German.
- Illustrated Guide to Book Terminology: Produced by the Conservation
Center for Art and Historical Artifacts, Part one guides you through the specialized terms used to describe book structure.
Part two is the same for terms used in book conservation.
- Kleines Glossar Typographie
und Layout im Desktop-Publishing: Glossary in German.
- Ligatus Language
of Binding: Online thesaurus of bookbinding terms. Can be searched
by keyword or alphabetically. The concepts contained in the thesaurus
are, however, also arranged hierarchically, based on a class/sub-class
relationship, which allows concepts to be retrieved by navigating down
the hierarchies even if their label (the term) is not known.
of Book Arts Terms, from English to French: From the Canadian Bookbinders
and Book Artists website.
- Definition of the Artist's Book:
Transcript of a discussion held on Book_Arts-L in 1998. Topics included:
Definition of the Artist's Book; What is a Book; BSO's (Book Shaped
Objects); Art vs. Craft.
- Development of the Artist's Book:
What is a book? An artist's book? A livre d'artiste? Written by Peter
- From the Traditional to the Transformative:
Two Approaches to Visual Books, an article "compiled" by Mary Stewart
in which Nancy Callahan and Peter Verheyen discuss the book arts. The
article was published in Volume 4, Issue 1, Summer/Fall 1996 of the
Journal for the Mid America Print Council.
- The Future of Hand Bookbinding:
By Sam Ellenport.
- Getting us out / Bringing us together:
How listservs and the Web have changed the way in which book artists
work and communicate. Presented at "Hot
Type in a Cold World," a symposium celebrating the 25th anniversary
of the Silver Buckle Press at the University of Wisconsin, Madison.
November 20, 1998.
- Is It A Book?: A page on nonlinearity in
literature and the book arts by Karen Drayne (a.k.a. Powell), Barbara
Davison, and Emily-Jane Dawson.
/ The Bone Folder: Dialog between a bibliophile and bookbinder
written in 1922 by Ernst Collin. Available are the full-text of the
German original as well as the full-text, a downloadable edition in
signatures, and a Lulu POD edition. This translation originall appeared
in the 2009 edition of the Guild of Book Workers Journal, 2009.
- The Philobiblon of Richard De Bury:
The first book about the meaning, care, and handling of books.
- The Virtual Codex from Page Space to E-space:
A lecture by Johanna Drucker to the Syracuse University History of the
- The Whatness of Bookness:
Letter by Philip Smith on definition of the book.
- Why Book Art Matters: An article
by Kathy Walkup, Director of the Book Arts Program at Mills College.