Typography, Book Design, Page Design, Layout
theoretical and practical works
For further typographic examples, see Artistic Works and Concrete & Visual Poetry, Calligrams; for other practical advice relating to book design, see Book Arts & Artists' Books.
Readers finding information or entertainment here may also wish to read Emily-Jane's essay on the Book Arts.
- Adams, Thomas F. Typographia; or, The printer's instructor : a brief sketch of the origin, rise, and progress of the typographic art, with practical directions for conducting every department in an office, hints to authors, publishers, &c. Philadelphia : L. Johnson, 1854.
(page images, Making of America)
- Bringhurst, Robert. The elements of typographic style, 2nd. edition. Point Roberts, WA : Hartley & Marks, 1996, 1999, 2001.
- Chappell, Warren. A short history of the printed word. New York : Alfred A Knopf, 1970.
- Dair, Carl. Design with type. Toronto ; Buffalo, NY : University of Toronto Press, 1967, 1998.
- Dowling, Geoffrey. An introduction to the history of printing types. London : The British Library and Oak Knoll Press, 1998.
- Dowling, Geoffrey. Finer points in the spacing and arrangement of type. Vancouver, BC : Hartley and Marks Publishers Inc., 1995.
- Drucker, Johanna. The visible word : experimental typography and modern art; 1909-1923. Chicago ; London : University of Chicago Press, 1994, 1996.
Includes an excellent bibliography with primary and secondary sources in various schools of modern art, including surrealism and dada.
- Elam, Kimberly. Expressive typography : the word as image. New York : Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1990.
- Graphic design & reading : explorations of an uneasy relationship, edited by Gunnar Swanson. New York : Allworth Press, 2000.
A collection of essays. Of particular note are: Colette Gaiter's "Reading photographs," a photo essay exploring the relationships between text and image; David Small's "Rethinking the book," a discussion of the Talmud Project; and Paul Elliman's "E pluribus unum," on the magical significance of letters, palindromes, and the letter "e."
The book's table of contents and introduction, "re:word," by Gunnar Swanson are available in full text online. (Gunnar Swanson)
- Haley, Allan. Type : hot designers make cool fonts. Glouster, MA : Rockport Publishers Inc., 1998.
- Haller, Lynn. Page design. Cincinnati, OH : North Light Books, 1998.
- Hochuli, Jost, and Robin Kinross. Designing books : practice and theory. London : Hyphen Press, 1996.
- McLean, Ruari. Thames and Hudson manual of typography. London : Thames and Hudson, 1980.
- Smith, Keith. Structure of the visual book. Rochester, NY ; Fairport, NY ; Cayuga, NY : Visual Studies Workshop Press ; Keith Smith Books, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1994.
- Smith, Keith. Text in the book format. Fairport, NY ; Rochester, NY : Sigma Foundation ; Keith A. Smith Books, 1989, 1995.
- Spencer, Herbert. The visible word. New York : Visual Communications Books ; Hastings House, Publishers, 1968.
A beautifully presented discussion of research into the readability of print in information publishing. Lavishly illustrated with pictures, tables, and examples. Includes a glossary and bibliography.
- Tschichold, Jan. The new typography : a handbook for modern designers. Berkeley ; Los Angeles ; London : University of California Press, 1995.
- Tufte, Edward R. Envisioning information. Cheshire, CT : Graphics Press, 1992.
- Tufte, Edward R. The visual display of quantitative information. Cheshire, CT : Graphics Press, 1983.
- Tufte, Edward R. Visual explanations : images and quantities, evidence and narrative. Cheshire, CT : Graphics Press, 1997.
- Walton, Roger. Page layout : inspiration, innovation, information. New York, NY : HBI ; Cincinnati, OH : Distributed by North Light Books, 2000.
* Asterisks mark items Emily-Jane considers to be especially interesting, useful, or well-written.