Book Arts & Artists' Books
manuals, instruction, theory, commentary
For examples of artists' books and other book-arts-y things, see the section on Artistic Works. For book design, page design, layout, or practical visual graphics, see Typography. Other items of interest will be found in the sections on Concrete & Visual Poetry, Calligrams and Comix.
Emily-Jane's essay on the Book Arts is supported by this bibliography, and readers who find themselves here may wish to visit it as well.
- Blake, Kathy. Handmade books : a step-by-step guide to crafting your own books. Boston ; New York ; London : Bulfinch Press [Little, Brown and Co.], 1997.
- Carter, David, and James Diaz. The elements of pop-up : a pop-up book for aspiring paper engineers. New York : Little Simon, 1999.
- Diehl, Edith. Bookbinding : its background and technique, 2 vol. New York : Reinhart & Company, Inc., 1946. Also New York : Dover Publications, 1980.
- Drucker, Johanna. The century of artists' books. New York : Granary Books, 1995.
Chapter one of this work, "The artist's book as idea and form," is available in full text online (Granary Books, 1995).
- Eleenport, Sam. The future of hand bookbinding. Boston : Harcourt Bindery, 1993.
- Golden, Alisa J. Creating handmade books. New York : Sterling Publishing Co., 1998.
- Hubert, Renee Riese, and Judd David Hubert. The cutting edge of reading : artists' books. New York : Granary Books, 1999.
Chapter one of this work, "Introduction : the protean artist's book," is available in full text online (Granary Books, 1999).
- Ikegami, Kojiro. Japanese bookbinding : instructions from a master craftsman [adapted by Barbara B. Stephens]. New York ; Tokyo : Weatherhill, 1986, 1998.
- Jackson, Paul. The pop-up book : a step-by step introduction for creating over 100 original paper products. New York : Henry Holt & Co., 1993, 1996.
- Johnson, Arthur. The Thames and Hudson manual of bookbinding. London : Thames and Hudson, 1978.
- Klima, Stephan. Artists' books : a critical study of the literature. New York : Granary Books, 1998.
Chapter one of this work, "Introduction," is available in full text online (Granary Books, 1998).
- LaPlantz, Shereen. Cover to cover : creative techniques for making beautiful books, journals & albums. Ashville, NC : Lark Books, 1995.
- Lauf, Cornelia, and Clive Phillpot. Artist/author : contemporary artists' books. New York : Distributed Art Publishers inc. and the American Federation of Arts, 1998. [exhibition catalog]
- Lehmann-Haupt, Hellmut. Seventy books about bookmaking : a guide to the study and appreciation of printmaking. New York : Columbia University Press, 1941.
- Lewis, A.W. Basic bookbinding. New York : Dover Publications Inc., 1957.
- Maran, Sally Scott. "Science defined by the hands of a book artist," Smithsonian, June 1995.
- Muir, David. Binding and repairing books by hand. New York : Arco Publishing Co. Inc., 1978.
- Roberts, Matt T. and Don Etherington. Bookbinding and the conservation of books : a dictionary of descriptive terminology. Washington : Library of Congress, 1982.
(CoOL (Conservation OnLine))
- Shannon, Faith. The art and craft of paper. San Francisco : Chronicle Books, 1987, 1990, 1992, 1994.
- Smith, Keith. Non-adhesive binding, volume I : books without paste or glue. Fairport, NY ; Rochester, NY : Sigma Foundation ; Keith A. Smith Books, 1990, 1992, 1995, 1999.
- Smith, Keith. Non-adhesive binding, volume II : 1- 2- and 3-section sewings. Rochester, NY : Keith A. Smith Books, 1995.
- Smith, Keith. Non-adhesive binding, volume III : exposed spine sewings. Rochester, NY : Keith A. Smith Books, 1995.
- Smith, Keith. Non-adhesive binding, volume IV : Smith's sewing single sheets. Rochester NY : Keith Smith Books, 2001.
- Smith, Keith, and Fred Jordan. Sewn and pasted cloth or leather bindings requiring no special tools or equipment. Cayuga, NY : Keith Smith Books, 1998.
- Town, Laurence. Bookbinding by hand : for students and craftsmen. London : Faber and Faber, 1951, 1968.
- Verheyen, Peter. "Development of the artist's book," student paper, Department of Fine Arts, Syracuse University, April 1998.
- Watson, Aldren A. Hand bookbinding : a manual of instruction. New York : Macmillan Publishing Co., 1986.
- Artists' books information resource.
Jae Jennifer Rossman, 3 June 2004.
- Bibliography of bookbinding manuals.
Peter Verheyen, The book arts web, 22 February 1997.
- The book arts web.
Peter Verheyen, 1995-2004.
A wonderful all-around resource for book arts resources, exhibits, and information on the web.
- Center for Book Arts.
The mission of the Center for Book Arts is the preservation of the bookmaking arts.
- Definition of the artist's book; what is a book; BSO's (book shaped objects); art vs. craft : a discussion held on the Book_Arts-L listserv, March 1998.
Peter Verheyen, The book arts web, 1995-2004.
- Chinese bookbinding.
Colin Chinnery, Oriental and India Office, British Library ; Special Topics, International Dunhuang Project, 1999.
An illustrated history of Chinese bookbinding in the context of the Dunhuang area. Includes a bibliography of works in Chinese, French / franšais, and English.
- The Moveable Book Society.
Ann Montanaro, 30 March 2005.
- Moving tales : paper engineering and children's pop-up books.
State Library of Victoria.
Record of an exhibit held in the foyer of the State Library of Victoria, Melbourne, Australia, 18 August - 1 October, 1995. Includes a catalogue of the exhibit (unfortunately this does not include pictures).
(This resource is no longer available directly from the State Library of Victoria; the link above will take you to Pandora, an Australian web archive administered by the National Library of Australia and several other Australian cultural institutions.)
- The whatness of bookness, or what is a book?
Phillip Smith, 1996.
A brief article written in response to a letter from Peter Verheyen to the editor of the Designer bookbinders newsletter concerning "bookness."
* Asterisks mark items Emily-Jane considers to be especially interesting, useful, or well-written.