Concrete & Visual Poetry, Calligrams
texts & artwork, criticism, theory, commentary
For type design, layout, book design, typography, and graphic design, see
Typography. For other works of literature, see the sections dealing with Surrealism, Future of Books, Comix, and Literary Works.
Visitors to this page may also wish to read Karen's essay on Tricks & Games.
- Apollinaire, Guillaume. Calligrammes : poems of peace and war (1913-1916). Berkeley, Los Angeles, London : University of California Press, 1980.
Translated by Ann Hyde Greet.
This collection contains some visual poems.
- An anthology of concrete poetry, compiled by Emmett Williams. New York : Something Else Press, 1967.
- Anthology of concretism, 2nd. edition, edited by Eugene Wildman. Chicago : Swallow Press, Inc., 1969.
- Blakesley, David, and Collin Brooke, editors. Visual rhetoric.
Theme issue of Enculturation (volume 3, number 2), Fall 2001.
- Bohn, Willard. Modern visual poetry. Newark ; London : University of Delaware Press ; Associated University Presses, 2001.
- Cobbing, Bob and Peter Mayer. Concerning concrete poetry. London : Writers Forum, 1978.
- Concrete poetry: an international anthology, compiled by Stephen Bann. London : London Magazine, 1967.
- Concrete poetry : a world view, compiled by Mary Ellen Solt. Bloomington : Indiana University Press, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1980.
The introductory portions of the 1968 edition are available in full text online (ubuweb, no date)
- Courier : an anthology of concrete and visual poetry, edited by D. A. Beaulieu. Calgary, Alberta, Canada : Housepress, 1999.
- Finlay, Ian Hamilton and Gloria Wilson. A sea street anthology.Dunsyre, Lanark : Wild Hawthorn Press, 1971.
- Goldsmith, Kenneth, editor. Cyper poetics.
Theme issue of Object (number 10), Winter 2002.
(ubuweb, no date)
- Graham, Joan Bransfield. Splish splash. Boston MA ; London : Houghton Mifflin ; Hi Marketing, 2001.
- Gumpel, Liselotte. "Concrete" poetry from East and West Germany : the language of exemplarism and experimentalism. New Haven : Yale University Press, 1976.
- Higgins, Dick. George Herbert's pattern poems : in their tradition. West Glover VT : Unpublished Editions, 1977.
- Higgins, Dick. Pattern poetry. Albany : State University of New York Press, 1992.
- International anthology of concrete poetry, edited by John Jessop. [Toronto] : Poetry Toronto Books : Missing Link Press, 1978.
- Jackson, K. David, Eric Vos, and Johanna Drucker. Experimental, visual, concrete : avant-garde poetry since the 1960s. Amsterdam; Atlanta GA : Rodopi, 1996.
- Lewis, J. Patrick, and Lisa Desimini. Doodle dandies : poems that take shape. New York : Aladdin paperbacks, 1998, 2002.
- McCullough, Kathleen. Concrete poetry : an annotated international bibliography, with an index of poets and poems. Troy, NY : Whitston Publishing Company, 1989.
- Mindplay : an anthology of British concrete poetry, compiled by John J. Sharkey.London : Lorrimer Pub. Ltd., 1971.
- Newell, Kenneth B. Pattern poetry : a historical critique from the Alexandrian Greeks to Dylan Thomas. Boston : Marlborough House, 1976.
- The order of things : an anthology of Scottish visual, pattern and concrete poetry, edited by Ken Cockburn. Edinburgh : Polygon, 2001.
- A poke in the I : a collection of concrete poems, selected by Paul B. Janeczko and illustrated by Chris Raschka. Cambridge, MA : Candlewick Press, 2001.
- Scobie, Stephen. Earthquakes and explorations : language and painting from cubism to concrete poetry. Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 1997.
- Wildman, Eugene. The Chicago review anthology of concretism. Chicago : Swallow Press, 1967.
- A collective effort of visual poets from Australia.
thalia, Karl Young, & Karl Kampton, no date.
- Concrete-visual poems : indices to webpages and print resources.
A very extensive list of books, poems, forms, and websites.
- Poems that go.
Ingrid Ankerson and Megan Sapnar (editors), 2000-2002.
Visual and video poetry.
- Sackner Archive of Concrete and Visual Poetry.
Sackner Archive of Concrete and Visual Poetry, 1998-2002.
Includes a brief description of the archive, and a web-based catalog of works held there. Some items have been digitized and can be viewed via the webpage.
- A showcase of visual poetry.
- ubuweb : visual, concrete + sound poetry.
This very comprehensive website has historical and current visual, concrete and sound poetry, critical material, and artist information.
- A workshop with Hungarian visual poets.
Kaldron, Light & Dust Anthology of Poetry, no date.
Introduction and explanatory text in English / Angol, poems in Hungarian / Magyar.
- Yahoo : Arts : Humanities : Literature : Poetry : Poetic Forms : Visual Poetry.
Directory of websites relating to concrete poetry, including a listing of poets.